Is your New Year's Resolution to take better care of yourself? Making self-care a priority?
Massage can be a part of a pro-active plan of preventative medicine much in the same way as exercise and healthy eating.
Here are 5 very good reasons why you should consider adding regular massage to your wellness routine.
1.Stress Reduction - Every year, Americans spend thousands of dollars and significant time seeking relief from illness. Many of which are stress related, like depression, heart disease, diabetes, fibromyalgia and cancer. Adding regular massage to your current health-care routine has been proven to reduce stress, which reduces illness.
Doctors recognize the benefits and often recommend regular massage to their patients for reducing stress. Several studies have measured the stress hormone called cortisol and found massage decreases cortisol levels dramatically. Cortisol is produced when you are stressed, and kills important cells needed for immunity. So, when massage reduces your stress levels (and the cortisol) in your body, it may help you avoid getting sick.
2.Relief for Chronic Illness - Massage often relieves symptoms of chronic disease or illness such as fibromyalgia, arthritis and cancer.
- Reduces Anxiety - Massage eases anxiety before and during uncomfortable procedures. Some schedule their massage the day before a procedure or a chemotherapy infusion because they find it helps them stay calm.
- Eases Pain - Clients who receive massage say they have less pain, treatment-related pain and pain due to muscle tension.
- Helps Control Nausea - Gentle-touch massage has been shown to reduce nausea in patients in the hospital receiving bone marrow transplant.
- Improves Sleep and Eases Fatigue - Massage eases fatigue and improves energy levels which allows an increase in activity which often promotes better sleep.
- Helps Relieve Depression - Research shows that massage may help relieve depression in cancer patients.
3.Strengthens Your Immune System - Massage therapy boosts immune system by stimulating natural killer cells. Since therapeutic massage decreases cortisol that destroys natural killer cells, your immune system gets a boost. An increase in white blood cells and natural killer-cell activity better prepares the body to fight off possible invading cells. Massage even boosts immunity in those people with severely compromised immune systems, such as cancer patients.
4.Relief from Injury - Are you a weekend warrior or recovering from surgery? Regular massage can help you get back on your feet quicker. Massage improves blood circulation. When you have more efficient blood circulation, oxygen and other nutrients are distributed throughout the body better. This helps in repairing tissue and hastens the recovery process.
5.Lowers Blood Pressure - Receiving massage on a regular basis has a positive effect on blood pressure problems. Massage can stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system, which results in regulating your heart rate and lowering your blood pressure. You should not consider massage as your primary mode of treatment and consult your doctor to see how this integrative form of treatment can help your condition.
Adding regular massage to your wellness routine is a smart and healthy New Year’s Resolution. Progressive Massage Therapy is ready to assist you as you choose healthy living. Give me a call - 214-773-2837.